Pages

Monday 10 September 2012

North Wales, Foel Grach from Llyn Eigiau

7 hrs.
Second day in the Carneddau and a trip to Foel Grach via Llyn Eigiau reached via a single track road from Tal-y-Bont south of Conway. The day was very overcast and wet in the afternoon and the settings on my camera were messed up so apologies fro the poor quality of the photos.

The start and free parking at Llyn Eigiau.
The Summit shelter on Foel Grach

No vehicles beyond this point as I head off towards Llyn Eigiau.
At the rather flimsy looking dam wall and it's breach.
At the head of Llyn Eigiau the path passes Cedryn Cottage, lovely and remote.
Looking back at the dam wall and it's breaches one of which was deliberate but not sure which one.
Carnedd Llewelyn straight ahead shrouded in mist.
About three miles from the car I reached this bothy named eigiau cottage run by Rugby Mountaineering Club, looked in good order when I passed it.
Passed the bothy is a ruined slate mine and is where the real climb begins up to Foel Grach. Had a bite to eat here watched by a few wild horses as the rain started to fall.
Looking back at the old quarry as I start to climb.
Llyn Melynllyn from the ridge of Cwm Eigiau.
The cairn before Foel Grach is reached with most of the (pathless) climb done.
Foel Grach summit.
Summit shelter just to the north of the summit, while I was there a couple appeared who were to be spending the night there, I wished them luck and was glad that I had a hotel to get back to.
Close up.
Time to head back so retraced my steps for a while and then headed for the top of Craig Eigiau.
Then left to follow the wall all the way down to the northern end of Llyn Eigiau.
Looking back and saying a farewell to the wild horses of the Carneddau.
The northen edge of Llyn Eigiau, from here the camera was packed away as the heavens opened for the last deluge of the day before I reached the car wet but well satisfied with the days walk. The only people I met the whole day were the two on the summit of Foel Grach.
Back then to the digs at Caernarfon for a feast and much ale.
Actually it was fish'n'chips and a pint and then on to the travelodge.
:)


No comments:

Post a Comment