Pages

Saturday 19 October 2013

Lake district, Skiddaw, Ullock Pike and Dodd from Dodd Wood.

The rain finally stopped at Keswick after a very wet journey up the M6 and thoughts of abandoning any walking today. So I stopped at a free parking area at Dodd wood and set off for Skiddaw.

61/2 hrs.

Keswick and Derwent Water from Dodd.
Parking area just before The Old Sawmill at Dodd Wood.
I took a direct line up through the woods, not a good idea in hindsight as I would have been better off taking the track above.
Looking across to Bassenthwaite Lake.
Dodd which I am to visit later in the day from below Carl Side.
Bassenthwaite Lake.
At Carl Side.
On the steep ascent to Skiddaw with this shot looking back down.
Skiddaw summit with not a lot to see today.
Descending back down to Carl Side I then headed for Longside Edge and Ullock Pike.
Longside Edge.
View down Southerndale.
View back to Skiddaw which remained in cloud the whole day.
At this point, Ullock Pike I presume, on my map it showed a path going off down the slope towards Dodd Wood but What I thought was it disappeared after about 100 meters. Rough ground and hard going down to Dodd Wood then.
At least the weather is improving, nice view over Bassenthwaite Lake.
Almost at the tracks at Dodd Wood after a hard and steep descent.
On the track thankfully and on my way to Dodd.
Fly Agaric.
Looking back at the route I took down From Ullock Pike, not recommended.
Dodd Summit.
From Dodd it was a pleasent stroll down throught the wood back to the car via the cafe at the Forestry Commission Car Park.
.............



















1 comment: