Pages

Monday 2 April 2012

Lake District, Catbells & High Spy

Catbells & High Spy

5 hours.

After a tough day yesterday I opted for an easy ramble up Catbells and finished up on High Spy looking on towards Dale Head.


Parking is difficult but can be found on the roadside that skirts Catbells although you need to get there early.


A short walk from the car and we're off.






Looking down to Keswick. After a couple of short showers the weather improved and stayed dry but cloudy.


Derwent Water.


Looking up towards the summit of Catbells. I was to see one person on the journey up there and had the summit to myself.


Bassenthwaite Lake in the distance and no one on the path up to Catbells.


Causey Pike.


And again from Catbells.


Looking towards my next stop, Black Crag then onto Bull Crag.


Looking back towards Carbells and Keswick from Black Crag.


The path leading up to Bull Crag.


Approaching High Spy cairn guarded by a lone walker.


Dale Head.


The cairn at High Spy. From here it was an about turn to retrace my steps.


A quick look over towards Great Gable over there somewhere before I set off.


Derwent Water from Bull Crag.

When nearing Catbells there were hoards of people, hundreds of them ascending, descending and shuffling for places on the summit, I was lucky to have had it to myself earlier. Instead of facing the crowds I opted for the path down to the bridleway that skirts the base of catbells and to the car.


Popular place this Catbells.


Memorial to Sir Hugh Walpole CBE on the Bridleway.


Back to the car and into Keswick for a couple of sausage rolls before the VAT goes on 'em and a quick look around the shops before heading off home completing a cracking weekend in the Lakes.














No comments:

Post a Comment